18 September, 2008

A-School

The Tuesday after Will Graduated from Navy Boot Camp, he got on a plane to Pensacola, FL. A-School was the school everbody in the Navy attends after Boot Camp where they learn what their job is about and how to do it. The amount of time you spend at A-School varies according to the different jobs titles.

Wills A-School was 3 months long, though it ended up being 4 months as he struggled.

Once he got there and got settled, I was able to send him his cell phone. Finally, we could talk on our own schedule. When we wanted. Of course, when he had time off. He bought a computer and got internet in his room. He had a little more freedom, though not much. At least communication was more then letters and phone calls if you're lucky.

A-School was a struggle. His school was hard, his job is hard. He was training to be an IT, Information Systems Tech. He had a lot to learn, though it was all things he liked. His job is a tight security job. So he never can tell me much about what he does. Or what he was learning. I know the basics, but that's about it. We didn't see each other again until December. He was suppose to Graduate his A-School before Christmas break, but after struggling on test and getting put on Mandatory study and PT daily, he got put into another class for the last month to repeat the last month of his A-School. He was now in a night class. Which was a hard adjustment for us.

He got a week of leave and was able to come home for New Years.

December 30th, 2006 his mom and I drove to Ontario, CA to pick him up. I was nervous all over again. But, once again, things were like he never left. He couldn't keep his hands off me! And I couldn't stop kissing him. We just loved every minute of it.

He stayed with me at my parents house that week, as my bed and bedroom was bigger. But we made sure to split the time between my family and his. New Years Eve day we had our friends over and some family for a New Years Eve/Will is home party. It was a blast. All through A-School, he was dropping hints of proposing. He asked for my dads number and called him, but wouldn't tell me why. I knew though.

That night.. December 31, 2006. It was just the two of us laying on the couch at my parents house waiting for the ball to drop. My parents were in bed. And we were laying together, me between his legs. He got up and went into my bedroom and grabbed something.

5 minutes before the ball dropped, he shot out some lovey dovey jibber jabber.. And pulled the ring out from underneath him and said "I don't want a girl friend going into the new year, I want a fiance." And of course I said yes! There was no down on one knee nonsense. I was still laying in his lap. But that's how we are. It was perfect & I couldn't of asked for anything else.

We spent the rest of his leave together non stop. Visiting all sorts of family and friends. Telling them of our engagment. Showing off the beautiful ring he picked out on his own and just enjoying each others company.

He had to go back though. Another good-bye in the books. Within 5 months of him being in the Navy, we had 3 good-byes in the books. They never got any easier.

He finished his A-School around Jan 19th and took 10 days of leave to go visit his dad and Step-Mom up in Northern CA for 7 days, and spent 3 with me. And reported to his 1st duty station.. His 1st ship in January 30th, 2007.

No comments: