19 September, 2008

Ship Life

Before I continue, I think I should explain Wills current contract.

He is signed up for 8 years total.. 5 Active, 3 Reserve.

The way the Navy works is there's two different kind of commands. There is a Shore Command and a Sea Command. Shore command is where they're not stationed on any sort of ship, sub, ect and the chances of them deploying are slim to none. A Sea Command is when they're stationed on some sort of ship or sub and get deployed and go out to sea often. Too often, if you ask me.

The time spent on them varies according to your job, I believe. As an IT, my husband has to spend 5 years on Sea Duty and 3 years on a Shore Duty. That is, if he's going to be active for a full 8 years. We're currently on Sea Duty.

January 30, 2007 Will reported to his ship out here in San Diego, CA. For security and personal reasons, I won't say anything about the name of his ship. He is on a Destroyer though. Which is one of the smaller ships. We got very lucky having him stationed out here in San Diego, considering we're from La Quinta (Coachella Valley) which is just 2 hours from San Diego, which is also where most of our family is located.

We knew as soon as he got to the ship that we're preparing for a Deployment in April. So we decided to do a quick, court house wedding to get the paper work going and get our name on the wait list for Military Housing before he left.

February 10, 2007 we were married.

We had very little time together. As long as he didn't have weekend duty, I would drive out to San Diego each weekend and either stay at a friends house and spend the weekend with him in San D, or we'd drive back to the desert. I quickly got tired of that drive. It's a long day when you're driving to and from San Diego from the desert twice in one day twice a weekend. But it was so worth it.

D-Day quickly came. We had me enrolled in DEERS, I had my ID, I had my base passes everything was good to go. We went into the Housing Office & got on the wait list for Military Housing, which was about 3 months long. Our plan was for me to move while he was gone & have everything set up for him when he got home. It worked out.

April 2nd, 2007 was the dreaded D-Day. Our 1st Deployment. Not even 2 months into our marriage. 8 1/2 months into his Navy life. And he's off. For 6 months on a "tin can".

No comments: